One of the most famous of Mumbai, the Mahalaxmi Temple is dedicated to the Goddess Mahalaxmi – the central deity of Devi Mahatmyam. Built by Dhakji Dadaji, a Hindu merchant, in 1831 the temple comprises of images of the Tridevi goddesses: Mahakali, Mahalaxmi, and Mahasaraswati.
All these images are embellished with pearl necklaces, gold bangles, and nose rings, with Mahalaxmi who occupies the central position. The image of Mahalaxmi lies in the center which is shown holding lotus flowers in tandem.
Thousands of devotees and tourists in large numbers throughout the year, you cannot afford to miss a visit to the temple if you are already in town or are paying a visit to it. The structure of the Mahalaxmi Temple is not visually appealing, but also simple in its appearance.
Tips to Visit Mahalaxmi Temple
- If you want to keep away from crowd and the unwanted afternoon heat, visiting the temple in the morning hours is a good thing to do.
- Make sure you dress conservatively, since you’re entering inside the holy place.
- Keep an eye on all your belongings.
- Always leave your footwear outside the Mahalaxmi Temple.
- You can also make a donation to the temple, if you
There are several shops where you can buy the items to be used inside the temple. In fact, the stalls offer assistance to those who are visiting the place of worship for the first time. The architecture of the place of worship is of most customary style. Ornamented with stunningly beautiful complex designs, the temple’s main entrance leads to its complex.