India Gate, which has its original name All-India war memorial is one of the popular monuments of the capital city, Delhi. It was built in the memory of the Indian soldiers who died fighting during World War I. The building is 42 metres high and has an arch with the name India written on its both sides. It also comprised of the names of 70,000 soldiers written all over it. The building lies over the banks of the Yamuna river and on the eastern-most road of Rajpath. It has now become the tourists’ attractions for the Indian as well as foreign travellers.
Tourism as well as the national significance of India gate
India Gate always has a shallow bowl at the top of the building which is supposed to be filled with oil and burning on special events. The monument offers plenty of opportunities to indulge in tourist activities and spend a quality time with your family. Here is the lookout on things that help you enjoy your time.
- You can spend a sparkling evening or a memorable night as the building is lit up with spotlights.
- The large lawns are an ideal place for locals to execute a picnic plan, sporting activities and much more.
- People come to visit the monuments early in the morning and take walks at the Rajpath with stunning views of monuments.
- You can shop and eat in the Pandara Road market which at a small distance of the monuments that you can travel on feet.
- You can take a break during your picnic at the monument and have a lunch with your family at the Andhra Bhavan restaurant that serves delicious food.
It does not only have significance in terms of tourism but also nationalism and creates a sense of patriotism in upon visiting. It also has the Amar Jawan Jyoti at the monument that is an eternal flame lit up all the time without ceasing and makes it one of the major attractions of the country.
Read More About India Gate
Type: War Memorial
India Gate Opened on: February 12, 1931
India Gate Height: 42 m
Address: Rajpath, India Gate, New Delhi, Delhi 110001
Architect of India Gate: Edwin Lutyens
Formerly Called: Kingsway
Location of India Gate: Rajpath
Nearest Metro Station: Central Secretariat
Timings of India Gate: Open all day
Entry Fee: Free
Monday 12:00 am – 12:00 am
Tuesday 12:00 am – 12:00 am
Wednesday 12:00 am – 12:00 am
Thursday 12:00 am – 12:00 am
Friday 12:00 am – 12:00 am
Saturday 12:00 am – 12:00 am
Sunday 12:00 am – 12:00 am
Note: India gate Boating timings are from 2 PM to 9 PM
Timings of light show at India Gate are from 7 PM to 9.30 PM